Ending fermentation at desired FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxx

Reaction score
So, I made 5g of an IPA that is now 22 days into primary fermentation. The OG was 1.068, and the current gravity is at 1.013(I used Wyeast 1056, at 64 F). After 2 weeks it was at 1.020, so I gave the carboy a swirl and raised temp to 72 F. 5 days later the gravity was at 1.015, and two days later at 1.014, and today at 1.013. I would really like to stop things here, as I don't want this beer to be too dry. My question is, will ending fermentation(via a cold crash) before final gravity is reached have negative impact on this beer?

Thanks!

Well, it could have a negative impact on the bottles.

Cold-crashing doesn't really end fermentation, it just hibernates the yeast. They'll wake back up whenever the temp rises again.

My vote is that you ride it out, let the yeast do what yeast does. If it ends up drier than you prefer, look to other parts of your process (recipe, mash temp) for solutions in the next batch.

Back