Can someone recommend a first brew recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j8h9

Reaction score
I'm new and have never brew, not yet. A friend is going to lone me his equipment; I'll pick it up sometime next month.

In the meantime, I'm doing all the things I think I should be doing. Reading. Exploring this forum. Reading. I've got three books. I've scheduled a lunch with co-worker who brews to rapid fire questions at him. And I've found a local brewing club (I plan on attending a meeting next week).

For my first foray, I don't want to use a kit; I'd like to find a partial grain/malt extract recipe. I'm interested in brewing a moderate to heavy brew something like the good German beers I've had on tap. Strong, full-bodied, dark.

Can someone recommend a recipe?

Strong + German = You need temperature control and LOTS of patience. Months.

For your first brew, I'd suggest something a little quicker. Dunkelweizen, brown porter, and mild ale can be drinkable within a month, especially if you have kegs.

Okay. How about Strong + Ale...

These will all take a bit of time to age in primary/secondary and bottle.
Hoppy: Double/Imperial IPA
Malty: Scotch Ale, Wee Heavy
Balanced: Barleywine

Austin home brew supply has PM recipe kits. I would pick up one from them

+1
Even though you don't want to use a kit this is a good suggestion. AHS has some really good partial mash kits to choose from.

Back