Wyeast 3864 fermented Dubbel to 1.002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmilton1987

Reaction score
I am trying to see if anyone else has been as lucky as me w/ this strain. I brewed a Dubbel in late July and it fermented through out August which was pretty hot here in MKE. It took it all the way down to FG=1.002 as you can see here:

Was this common for anyone else? I would love to hear your comments

What was the OG?

What was the temperature of the beer during that shot?

What temp did you mash at?

Does it taste good? That's all that really matters.

The OG was 1.060, I mashed at 122* for 20 min then 153* for 60 min then I mashed out @ 170* for 10 min. During fermentation the first 10 days (all 10 gal together in primary) it was peak 78* ambient in the house, then I transfered to two carboys (SG:1.011 time of transfer) and then it got up to 92* for a few days there then back to the low 80's high 70's. Also it tasted great the 1st 5 gal keg was kicked earlier this week. I am keeping the other 5 gal in a carboy for a special occasion. I also used a 1L starter from a yeast cake that fermented a Belgian Single a week earlier.

I used this yeast in a triple, it only got me down to 1.018. Tastes great, but now is taking forever to bottle carbonate - it's been over a month and just the slightest hint of "tss" when I cracked the last test bottle.

indigi - try letting the bottles lay on their sides (horizontally) for 5-7 days, then put them up right again. Wait a day or two and chill a bottle. That will get the yeast back into suspension and allow more CO2 to be produced. I do this with some lagers that have slight diacetyl in the bottle, and the extra yeast contact time cleans it up.

Jmilton - Well, you probably just pitched a huge starter or its the Canadian part of this "Belgian" yeast. Regardless, I bet it got you wasted.

I am trying to see if anyone else has been as lucky as me w/ this strain.

Lucky? 1.002 is too low for a dubbel, at least as I'd like to drink one. Probably has to do with your very high fermentation temps. I'd worry about what went wrong, if this were my beer. Tastes differ, though, and I certainly do hope you like it.

How does it taste? That's the real question. Numbers don't mean squat if the taste test tells a different story.

I thought that it tasted quite good. It had some rummy notes and some good phenols but finished dry and crisp, which allowed for consuming a lot more in a sitting than was probably appropriate. Overall I enjoyed it and so did others. I will let you know my notes on the other half of this batch that is cellaring until the holidays.

I thought that it tasted quite good.

That's all that matters, then. Glad to hear it.

It had some rummy notes and some good phenols but finished dry and crisp, which allowed for consuming a lot more in a sitting than was probably appropriate. Overall I enjoyed it and so did others.

I've been told before there are two kinds of problems in the world; there are problems and there are wonderful problems. A bit too much tasty beer with some good friends sounds like a wonderful problem.:mug:

Back