Missed my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewcarp

Reaction score
This is my second AG batch and I only got 60% eff. when I planned for 75% which gave me an OG of 1.051 when I was aiming for 1.064. I wanted to add some DME but I don't have any and wont be able to get it until tomorrow night and by that time it will have been in the fermenter for 24 hrs. Any suggestions?

Just make a high-gravity OG wort with DME (no hops) that will correct for the difference, and mix it in with your batch. Don't forget to account for the additional volume you are adding. I have done this in the past with no repurcussions.

p.s. I don't know if you have read Designing Great Beers, but you should be working with "gravity points' for this to figure out what you're shooting for.

Have to ask - did you correct your gravity measurement for temp? Meaning, did you measure your OG hot or at 60F?

I did adjust for temp. I think the issues came from too much sparge water and not enough boil off. I have about 6 gallons in the fermenter and my calculations and grain bill was for 5.5.

I want to add some DME to a very small amount of water, basically just enough to disolve the extract. Boil that for about 15 minutes, chill, and add to the fermenter. Just not sure though as the airlock is bubbling away.

Latest posts

Back