Screw Top Wine Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am making my first home brew and got the brewing kit as a birthday present before I collected enough beer bottles. I have enough beer bottles and screw cap wine bottles to bottle a full batch. My question....is it ok to bottle beer in screw cap wine bottles?

Yup, they will leak the CO2 needed to carbonate your beer...and you don't want your precious, hand crafted, high quality brew to be ...well...flat!

More and more higher quality wines are going to cork lined screw tops.. since natural cork is getting expensive... Most wines under $30 use fake cork these days .. (Yea, I took a wine tasting course with SWMBO to keep her happy)..

The problem you will have with Wine tops is the cork/ fake cork, lining the top has limited useful life, it will also will absorb the wine aroma and using sanitizer will help it break down faster... Soda bottles use the much sturdier plastic liner.

If you drink wine that uses a screw cap with plastic liners you probably won't care what the beer tastes like anyway :D

ajf summed this one up really - standard wine bottles aren't designed to cope with carbonation - they're much thinner glass than beer bottles. Don't risk it.
The 'screw top' with glass bottled wine is usually a metal lid in the UK - they never seal again properly once opened
Use PET plastic bottles until you get enough beer bottles to cap. They won't shatter and will seal well enough for your first brews (i.e. not left to age too long!) :D
:off: To set the record straight we do actually get some half decent wines in screw tops in the UK Supermarkets being so close to France, Italy and Spain for you US Wine Snobs!;) :D

Back