Has anyone out there gone through the process of acquiring a Brewers license?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the process of acquiring a Brewers license? If so I would greatly appreciate some tips on how to go about this! Thanks

I am going through the process... It is pretty straight forward and the TTB gets slammed a lot. Just realize that they want you to be in business, they just want to make sure that you aren't doing it illegally.

Yea,, seems like a ton of paperwork, did you get a lawyer? Also is it required to have a spot leased before applying? Kind confused on the timing of some parts of the process ...

You have to have a physical location before you can get your license. You will need to have your city sign off on everything about the interior of your brewery before the TTB will issue you a license to brew. Here in California, you need to have the TTB license first, then the ABC will license you for the state. City/County requirements will be the final things to go through. That will include the license to sell the alcohol. If you are planning on doing Ciders, Wines or Meads, that is a separate license type. If you are planning on having guest taps from other breweries, that is a different license from just brewing/selling from a brewery. I would suggest that you get a copy of this book, it is worth the cost (look on Amazon for a better price).

Back