Broken bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobiasosir

Reaction score
I don't think this was a bottle bomb, but thought I'd ask just in case...sorry, I didn't get a picture.

When I got home tonight after a night out, I noticed the cardboard boxes I'm keeping my bottles in we're soaked at the bottom. Checked all the bottles and they're fine, except for one--the bottom had been shorn off as clean as if it had been cut with a knife.

Now, I'd stacked the boxes two high (had a feeling when I did it that it wasn't a good idea) and with the EZ caps the boxes didn't quite close. I'm thinking the weight of one box was too much for a bottle, and the downward pressure plus CO2 just blew the bottom out.

What do you all think? Is a bomb usually more violent? I've heard stories of shards going through drywall, but like I said, this break was clean...

Bottle bombs can do as you described, that's a weak point of the bottle. It could just be from the pressure of the boxes on top. I'd put something under the boxes just in case you have another one to prevent mess.

Did you measure the final gravity? I use to wing it for years and had one batch of bombs. They all either broke on the bottom or the neck but this was years ago. It wasn't all of them just a half dozen.

I checked my FG two days straight, and it was settled at 1.008. It had been at about 1.010 for two or three days before racking into the secondary.
If it is a BBQ, I'll have to keep a close eye on it; fortunately they're in the garage ( about the coolest place in the house in the summer) so if they blow they won't do much damage.
Though maybe I should put something between them and the car...

If that was around what the FG was suppose to be, that sounds finished and I wouldn't worry at all.

Back