Brewer's Best ---> Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My friend and I are thinking of doing this kit this weekend. Is there anything that we can do to make this a little better than the kit provides? Is this brewed the same way that other kits are? I have seen a couple other recipes that recommend aging Russian Imperial Stouts for up to six months. Is this necessary for an extract?

Other questions about this kit are:
Is there anything that you would change or add? I think that I may add another oz of hops. Any suggestions?

Also, I have 3 Lbs of LME in the fridge. If I add this to the wort, will I get a higher OG, leading to higer ABV? Yay or Nay?

Anyways, suggestions will be appreciated.

I am still a rookie, so I would take this with a grain of salt. I tried adding one extra lb. of sprayed malt to a Brewer's Best Scotish Ale and it took over the beer! You can really taste the alcohol in it. It is not bad, but you really can taste it. It is like the flavor takes a back seat to the alcohol. The beer has been in the bottle for almost 2 months, so it should be conditioned. I am going to let it sit for a while longer though. Nothing bad comes from letting it sit.
So yes, more malt, more alcohol. But it is not awas a good thing. Also, doesn't an Imperial have usually higher alcohol content and a higher ibu by nature?

This brew is awesome as is. I made mine a year ago and now only have 4 bombers left. It is a favorite whenever I bring it to our brewclub meetings. I fermented in primary for 1 month then bottled. It's best to leave it alone for at least 5-7 months. Do this and you will be rewarded.

This was my first beer ever and it was awesome after 6 months of aging using only what the kit provided. Fermentation was violent after 16 hours at room temp (~72*F ambient) and I was checking the airlock regularly to avoid having to clean the ceiling.

Latest posts

Back