nOOb question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay...I've brewed about 20 batches so far so I have SOME experience, but the latest has me thinking a bit more than it should be. I'm turning to you guys for some assistance.

I recently brewed a dry stout, and I racked it right on top of a yeast cake that I had a sweet stout in. That sucker started bubbling like a bee-yotch 1 hour after I racked it on the yeast cake. It bubble dfor exactly 12 hours and not another peep out of it since.
The SG was only 1.045 so I know it won't take long for the yeasties to devour this one. But 12 hours? My hydrometer broke this week so I can't take a reading.
What do you guys think? Wait to rack to secondary until I know for sure its not stuck?

12 hours? Can pitching on top of a yeast cake only mean 12 hours for full fermentation? 12 damn hours? Wow......

Don't know, man. I might try tempting the little beasts with a small dose of brown sugar just to see if that wakes anybody up. I'd also have to replace the hydrometer. Without it, my curiosity would kill me.

ORRELSE said:
What do you guys think? Wait to rack to secondary until I know for sure its not stuck?

12 hours? Can pitching on top of a yeast cake only mean 12 hours for full fermentation? 12 damn hours? Wow......

When you pitch on top of a yeast cake you have an enormous amount of yeast available to "Party On" . I am guessing your done. You need another hydrometer Man....then we would know for sure.

Sudster said:
When you pitch on top of a yeast cake you have an enormous amount of yeast available to "Party On" . I am guessing your done. You need another hydrometer Man....then we would know for sure.

I was just able to get a gravity check. Its sitting at 1.013. I assume that its pretty much done. You guys think the same?

BTW...homebrew adventures RULES. I placed an order 2 days ago and it was on my porch this afternoon. Unreal.

At 1.013 it's done. Get 'er off the trub and start conditioning :) Any little bit of fermenting that's left to do will get done in the secondary.

Kephren said:
At 1.013 it's done. Get 'er off the trub and start conditioning :) Any little bit of fermenting that's left to do will get done in the secondary.

Yep, thanks.
Right after reading the 1.013 I racked it over and tasted it. It tastes good right now. Nothing that tastes like an infection so I'm pretty sure these stout batches are okay.
It tasted pretty damn close to Guinness I must say.

PLEASE BE OKAY STOUTS......(that's me talking to the beer...)

Latest posts

Back