Please recommend a yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone reccoemend a good yeast for cider with a good flavor profile (something cidery, not too "clean") and low attenuation that will take 1.050-1.045 to about 1.010-1.015?

My latest attempt at cider brought me to 1.005... :( I'll have to back sweeten.

A lot of people use Nottingham on here. Me? I use a standard wine yeast that gets the job done, tastes delicious and clears wonderfully. The only thing I know about it is that it is called 'Standard Wine Yeast' as per the packet.

All yeasts will ferment cider very nearly to totally dry. Ale yeasts and wheat yeasts are a lot easier to stop in that 1.010 to 1.015 range which you can do with cold crashing or pasteurization. Those last 10 or 15 points are where are lot of the apple flavor is, so I would recommend stopping the ferment before the residual apple sugar ferments out

huh, meaning normal beer attenuation charts don't hold up when fermenting cider?

Right, the beer attenuation charts will give you some idea of how aggressive the yeast is vs which ones are easier to stop, but sooner or later they will get most of the apple sugars

+1 on Kevin's advice. You can't rely on the ale yeast petering out.

FWIW, one of the two 'house' yeasts I wash, harvest and use in my beers is Edinburgh, and I've become a big fan of it in my ciders. It works a little slower, but I like the flavor profile a lot.

Back