need more mouth feel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
just tried my second brewing of the chocolate milk stout all grain kit from northern brewer with a few minor additions to up the chocolate flavor. my problem is i think it is 'watery' or thin in your mouth and i want to get a better mouthfeel a 'thicker feel' if you will. the first batch was the same way also. what can i do? it was mashed at 152 per kit instructions:pipe:

You could always up your mash temp to the upper 150's (158ish) to help give it a "fuller body". There are plenty of grain mods you could try too, but temp would be easiest to try.

[EDIT] keep in mind however this will raise you FG and in turn lower your ABV.

Other than the watery / thin mouthfeel, if you like the flavor profile and don't want to change anything else about it, you could try adding a bit of maltodextrine near the end of the boil. I add about 4 ounces to a couple of my 5 gallon stout recipes for this very reason.

Other than the watery / thin mouthfeel, if you like the flavor profile and don't want to change anything else about it, you could try adding a bit of maltodextrine near the end of the boil. I add about 4 ounces to a couple of my 5 gallon stout recipes for this very reason.

The equivalent would be adding some carapils to the recipe during the mash; say about 8 ounces to get better body, or 12 ounces for much thicker body.

Back