Citizen Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just taken a sample citizen test.

http://games.toast.net/independence/

What if I want to come live in America but am not interested in politics.
This test seems heavily biased toward politics rather than Morals, law or personal integrity. Is political knowledge really the most import thing about immigrants?

Or is the sample a load of BS?

It seems to ask about the political system (the framework), but not politics ( the subject matter).

IMO: Most people (native born citizens) would do very poorly on this quiz.
Sad sad sad.

Having a LOT of experience in this matter, I will say that the test they gave is pretty much the easier questions. They are legit questions, or at least they appear to be, but there are tougher ones.

And yes, the test is more about the objective things, focusing very little on the subjective. But that's because, well, us americans don't often agree on much. :p

I didn't fell like running through the assassination list and some of the amendment questions :. 25

Point of contention: Recent evidence indictes that there were as many people looking to make a buck as there were religious freedom pilgrams.

I had a friend a while back that was studying for this test. She was born in Switzerland but lived in America her whole life. It was kind of funny seeing her struggle over facts that most of us have know since we were in the 1st grade.

I took it, got almost all right and the ones that I got wrong I probably just answered too quickly and some of the questions were (purposely) deceptive.

I have mixed feelings about giving immigrants a test. While ideally it would be nice if every person in America knew how the American Government worked so it would make sense that immigrants would need to take a test. But, the reality is that 50% of Americans couldn't pass this test and yet they are citizen's and can vote (YIKES!!).

BTW, I am positive that all these questions were covered in my high school civics class and I was educated in one the country's worst public education systems.

25 here, I admit I guessed on a couple, but that just balances out the ones that are "trick questions" and not on the actual test.

Out of curiosity, does a test like this exist for anyone trying to join the citizenry of England?

No.

They are talking about it.
Any one in the EU can now live in the UK without applying!!!!!!!!!!
We've just had 8 members of he State Medical proffesion. (NHS) arrested relating to the recent car bombs!
You are welcome to stay in the UK without wanting to be part of the UK and if you want to hate us then you are more than welcome to.
If your country does not look after you then feel free to come here and we'll look after you house you, feed you and give you money.
:mug:
We have more than enough money for this!

orfy said:
No.

They are talking about it.
Any one in the EU can now live in the UK without applying!!!!!!!!!!
We've just had 8 members of he State Medical proffesion. (NHS) arrested relating to the recent car bombs!
You are welcome to stay in the UK without wanting to be part of the UK and if you want to hate us then you are more than welcome to.
If your country does not look after you then feel free to come here and we'll look after you house you, feed you and give you money.
:mug:
We have more than enough money for this!

I always wondered, about this. I have learned just trough my Germany class's over the years about Government assistance like that over in Europe. Does it not bug the hell out of you. It seems it does not. I think in America we give these people to much, but yet we give ton's less than country's across the pond. Just wondering what your opinion on the matter is? Its always good to hear the perspective of someone living there. :off:

Thanks Orfy! La Migra just came and yanked my citizenship. Could you pick me up at the airport on Thursday? I'll see if I can get some UK benefits and maybe pick up one of those snappy accents while I'm at it.:D Yeah, baby!

I got a 26, considering that some of these questions are things you forget almost immediatly after being taught in some civics class, I figure that's pretty good.

-D

I got 27 out of 30. Not perfect, but I suppose I should know this stuff, having run for public office and all.

I got a 26, screwing up a bunch of the amendment ones. Beyond the first few and #21 I can't say I have any idea about the specifics or numbers of the rest. Time to retake a government class I suppose.

Ryanh1801 said:
I always wondered, about this. I have learned just trough my Germany class's over the years about Government assistance like that over in Europe. Does it not bug the hell out of you. It seems it does not. I think in America we give these people to much, but yet we give ton's less than country's across the pond. Just wondering what your opinion on the matter is? Its always good to hear the perspective of someone living there. :off:

Yes it does bug me.

We are only a small island and limited public resources and it's being drained.
I'd say welcome anyone to the country who can add to it not drain it!
We cannot feed and house and look after eastern Europe.

The big problem is there are no Figures for how many legal immigrants we have never mind illegal.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's 5 million plus.
Polish is now the second language of the Country.

Orfy,
It sounds like our countries have the same problem. There is a debate raging in the US whether or not we should legalize all the illegals here now. Even President Bush is pushing for it.:drunk:
I personally think enough is enough.

I have nothing against most of the immigrants, they are nice people. I'd probably do the same in their situation. I like the Polish people in general.
I just don't like the drain on my mine and the countries pocket when we can't afford medicine to keep UK nationals alive.

As you know the NHS is state funded and it is refusing medicine to people that costs as little as £2.50 a day on the grounds of cost.

It now looks like we will be implementing a points system for none EU residents and capping some EU country immigrants.

I doubt they can police the EU resident immigrants.

I scored 20 and got the one wrong about the official language, and I should have known the difference.

I probably know more about American history than I do about Canadian history for the shame of it.

funny story:

When I became a citizen 15 years ago, I had completely forgotten that there was going to be a test when I showed up for my interview. There I was in a room full "foreigners" studying their flash cards with questions like "who was the first president". They were studying in Korean, Spanish, and all sorts of different languages.

Then when it was time for the interview/test, the lady asked me a lot of questions and I think I got them all right, but the one question that stuck out in my mind was "how many justices are there in the supreme court?". I didn't know the answer, but I knew it had to be an odd number, so I guessed 5.

Bzzzt. Wrong.

Crap!

Uh, how about 7? Bzzzt. Wrong again. 11? 13?

Then she motioned "lower". Uh, 12? 9? ding ding ding!

So, the test isn't really a test. I think it's to see your comprehension of the country's governmental structure, but it's funny how "we" have to know this, yet it's laughable that there are so many people born in this country don't know even know who our current vice president is.

I have nothing against most of the immigrants, they are nice people. I'd probably do the same in their situation. ... I just don't like the drain on my mine and the countries pocket when we can't afford medicine to keep UK nationals alive.

Funnily, some of the "nationals" move to France, and recreate entire small towns, with pubs, schools, mostly in the Southwest --rugby appeal, perhaps,,,? I think, it's retirees first, then their children and grandkids,,,!

Recently, French laws had to be changed as some were using a small, obscure loophole to collect local benefits...!

26/30. Guess I get to keep my citizenship. Most of that stuff seemed to come straight out of my 7th grade history class, around 30 years ago. I agree with olllllo, though. Way too many Americans would flunk that test.

Back