How quickly does Hop Bitterness fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackinjeebs

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA and after 1 week of conditioning its great. However, I don't want to drink it if it will get better.

At the same time, It's not overly hoppy, if it lost any of the hop flavor, I don't think it would be nearly as good.

How quickly does the hop flavor begin to fade?

Every IPA I've made has really hit its stride after about a month in the bottle.

I do 2.5 gal batches so they don't last long enough to fade, but I did find a few bottles of a 6-month old double IPA which hadn't faded much. On the other hand, I also found a 9 to 10 month old Chinook IPA that had no hoppiness whatsoever. I'd say you're safe anywhere under 6 months.

Are you talking about hop bitterness, or hoppiness?

If it is just the bitterness. It fades very slowly, if at all. The flavor and aroma constituents fade more quickly as they are more volatile. You will get noticeable fading of aroma in about a month. The flavor will last a bit longer. The six months JonM notes is about right.

As beerkrump points out, you're talking two different beasties. When I make an IPA, I plan on re-hopping the keg should it last over three months. On the other hand, I rarely make IPAs any more, too many great ones in Beervana.

Yeah, I guess I should have specified. I am talking more about the hop flavor. So I should get going on it soon then. Maybe another week or two and then really have at them.:mug:

Back