emergency advice needed (aeration)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomycetaceae

Reaction score
Hey,
I just brewed a Pale Ale and went to aerate it only to find that my air stone is gone! If I can't locate one (LHBS and Local Pet Stores don't have them...) what can I do to get oxygen in the wort?
I considered ordering one online but clearly that wouldn't help me out with this batch.
What would happen if I let the wort sit for a few days while I get a new airstone before pitching the yeast?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
matt

Aerating with a stone does likely have some additional benefit if performed correctly, however you can get damn close just by swirling and agitating the wort in the carboy. That will be enough to get you a good amount of oxygen in the wort. Just set it down on the ground and swirl and shake. If you use a better bottle this is greatly facilitated by putting a tennis ball under the humb in the center of the better bottle. If you are using a bucket you can aerate with a sanitized kitchen whisking tool.

I don't use a stone and oxygen tank, rather I just sanitize my finger, plug the hole on the lid of my bucket, sit on the floor, and rock the hell out of it for a few minutes. Totally aerates the batch just fine, mixes the yeast throughout and the thing usually starts fermenting within 12 hours.

I always sanitize my bottling bucket and pour out of the kettle into that. Than I put that on a counter or something so that the bottom of the spigot is a foot or more above the top of the fermentor, and drain out of the spigot into the fermentor. This gives a thick head of foam, and I get fermentation signs within hours, not days.

Great thanks a lot guys. I guess I'm just used to using the stone and have forgotten that it isn't an absolute necessity, I'm just getting a little over-finicky perhaps...
Thanks again!
Cheers

Back