Split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alvaro

Reaction score
Hi
I want to make a 5 gallon batch and split it in 5 or 4 fermenters. What is the best ideia to get some "brewing experience", add diferent yeast on each (I will freeze the yeast after used to reduce the expenses ) or something else?:confused:
Thank you

average ales,you only need 2-3 grams of dry yeast per gal.You can freeze yeast?
Get some different packs. Use different hops also.Dont really get what your asking its pretty general.

I've had the same idea. I'm just starting out, and want to try out different yeasts, different ways to hop at 5min, flameout, secondary or no secondary, dry hopping or not...and it seems to me that the best way to test any individual change is to do a sort of controlled experiment by splitting one boil into 4 or 5 different fermenting batches, and trying different things with each one. That way you know the different tastes and characteristics are because of the different 'treatments' you split that one boil into.

I've had the same idea. I'm just starting out, and want to try out different yeasts, different ways to hop at 5min, flameout, secondary or no secondary, dry hopping or not...and it seems to me that the best way to test any individual change is to do a sort of controlled experiment by splitting one boil into 4 or 5 different fermenting batches, and trying different things with each one. That way you know the different tastes and characteristics are because of the different 'treatments' you split that one boil into.

Exactly what I want!!!

Exactly what I want!!!

Well, my plan is to start with yeast. I mean...its kind of the most important part of this whole thing, so i'd like to see what the difference is between different types. Dry or liquid? **** if I know, I gotta find this stuff out, and plan to do a couple boils soon. I gotta find some like...1.5gallon bottles to ferment in.

Yes, I can freeze, I will use this http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html , I work with cell culture and it seems to make sense.
What I really want is to have different beer to taste instead of lots of bottles of the same.
Do you recomend any easy recipe, as you can see, I am really newbie.

Thanks

Thats why i brew 2 gallon boils.I usually get 16 beers.Brew weekly. only drawback is same amout of time(somewhat)- botteling, less beer. I recommend doing half batches but i third them. only becaue i found 2 gallon vessels(wish it was 2.5 gal vessels) If you split your 5 gallon boil you only can use differnet dry hops/yeast or whatever you dryhop or flavor with or at botteling using differnt sugars dme/corn/table/maple/honey/molassis...
Brewing less volume more frequently you can have completely differnet beers.More time spent for less beer but more variety/unless you can afford to brew 5 gallons weekly. Not me nor do i drink/share that much.If i did id be all about it.

Back