Airlock activity after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
Made a Newcastle Brown clone two weeks ago. I got good airlock activity after about 10 hours and it looked like a good strong ferment for 3 days or so before it started slowing down.

I then let the temp comp up from 19.5C to 20.5C to try letting the yeast work on any byproducts. It has been sitting at that temp in my ferment chamber (freezer) for two weeks.

Every time I've opened it to check I've seen a bubble or two from the airlock per minute. I haven't noticed this on my other beers, but this is only the fourth beer I've brewed and only the second I've fermented at my place (brewing buddy babysat the first two).

I'm cold crashing it now and will check the FG and keg it in a couple of days.

Has anyone seen that sort of behavior out of the airlock before? I'm worried I picked up some infection or wild yeast or something.

Yes, all the time.....

It got warm, co2 is coming out of solution, nothing more.

Please read this.

And commit these words to memory- "What my airlock does or doesn't do, means NOTHING. It's a valve, not a gauge."

Have you taken any hydrometer readings? You don't really know of its actually done until you do. think you should start there, might tell you a lot.

Your fermentation seems very typical. If your airlock is still bubbling, there is no reason (usually) to open anything to "check". Just leave it alone - the yeast does not need your supervision. Why are you cold crashing prior to checking?

If you have had the beer at the proper temp for 2 weeks you should check it with your hydrometer. I am willing to bet its finished.
I open the door to my fermentation box and the fermenter bubbles.

Pull a sample and test it .

Just kegged it. The FG with temperature correction was 1.011.

The target was 1.014 but I added 14oz of BrewVint Alcohol Boost to the recipe. I know that would change the OG (It bumped it up to 1.060 as measured), but would it affect the FG? Any issues with the lower FG (more alcohol I know, less body?) ?

Otherwise, it smelled good and tasted great even flat. Waiting on it to carb now...

Latest posts

Back