Slap Pack Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
So I slapped and started my yeast yesterday in anticipation of doing a starter last night and brewing today. No such luck. Life got in the way and now I wont be brewing until Friday.

Can I just our out the slurry into my DME starter on Thursday as usual or becasue it already started in the slap pack it wont be any good and I need to buy a new pack?

You're fine. The smack pack is just nutrients and a smidge of wort. Opening it doesn't actually do much to the yeast...it's just useful for demonstrating viability.

starters are good anywhere from when they are at the peak of activity to 2-3 days after activity slows down, so you should be good. My info came from www.howtobrew.com and is confirmed by personal experience, lol. Happy brewing.

I normally make my starters 3 to 4 days prior to brewing. I'd go ahead and make the starter now then use it on Friday as planned.

Latest posts

Back