Starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I have noticed on this forum that many people make the recommended starters for high SG beers, but the starters they make are around 1040-1045. Why wouldn't we want to make a starter in the range of SG of the actual beer being brewed? for example if I am brewing a beer with a 1070 SG why not make a starter that is 1070? or 1080 starter for a 1080 brew?

I also noticed that many people make starters for all beers, and the Wyeast site only recommends starters for beers or 1060 or higher, why is this?

Check out Mr Malty it will answer all of your starter related questions. It is an awesome resource for starters and other brewing related practices.

Basically you don't want to stress your yeast with a higher gravity, you are just trying to increase cell count, and the overall viabiltiy and health of the yeastie beasties, hence it is not necessary nor recommended to make a higher gravity starter. Plus it'll save you a little DME too! :D

I make starters to make sure the yeast is viable and to make more yeast, it just depends on what gravity beer you are making to know how much yeast is needed. there are plenty of sites on the web that tell you what size starter you need for the gravity of the beer you are making. JMO

Back