Acidy 1 Week into Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute2

Reaction score
For the sake of science, I chilled one of my bottles of rye PA (made from a kit) one week after bottling day. Tastes great except there seems to be too much acidity. I should note that this batch only yielded 39 12 oz. Bottles (expected yield was 5 gallons), but I used all the priming sugar provided with the kit. Is this part of the natural carbonation process and should mellow out, or am I creating too much carbonic acid? Thanks.

At one week,the beer is still green (unbalanced). It'll mellow out to it's final form in a couple more weeks. I usually only get 48 bottles from 5 gallons. You must've had a lot of trub?...

I always end up with 48 bottles, got 49 once but broke one while capping :)
only 39 ? your pushing close to a gallon low. You will get a higher carb but you should be fine.

There was a lot of grain in the recipe and I didnt do an adequate job of draining the wort.

Let them sit at least 3-4 weeks and they'll mellow. Then chill for at least 48 hours prior to drinking and they'll be fine ;)

Back