Wonder if it helps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Kegged my first batch of AG today. Earlier, I had built some adapters for my hoses for cornys. I knew I was going to force carbonate, so I put the outlet adapter on to my gas so when I hook it up, it would force the CO2 to the bottom of the corny, the gas bubbles up to the top through the beer. I wasn't real keen on forcing the C02 in through the top.... worried that the exsisting air might get forced into the solution.. After hook up, I pulled the vent to vent the air out the top. When I am ready to serve (It'll be a few days, I had to order a grommet to repair a leak at my faucet), I'll just swap the adapters back and hook up regularly.

Anybody think that this is a good idea to go through all of this? Think it helps, or should I just hook up regularly and let it carbonate through the surface area at the top?

Am I just thinking and worrying to much?

Allan

If your main concern is getting rid of the air, all I do is vent the keg twice after hooking up the CO2. The problem with your idea is, the only contact between the CO2 and the ale will be the tube opening, not much surface there. You can buy diffuser stones for the gas inlet, I don't know anyone who uses one though. Maybe someone here has some experience.

It does have the surface area at the top, after the gas bubbles through the solution... I figured that as the gas is absorbed, the new gas would come through the solution on its way to the top.... probably doesn't really make a difference either way. I'll leave it as is and see what I have when I get the faucet repaired. If it's still undercarbed, I'll switch them back and let it go for a couple more days.

Thanks,
Allan

Lots of people will purge their keg of air before filling it, and others have designed closed-racking systems so that CO2 is used to fill the keg. Me, I rack the normal way and vent two or three times after hooking up the gas.

Back