Additional Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PintsLow

Reaction score
Question. I dry hopped an IPA for about 10 days and did not acheive the aroma I was hoping for. My bad was adding bittering hops as opposed to more aromatics. I have the brew kegged already, do you think by adding some additional hops to the keg would have an adverse affect or do you think it may add the aromatics I am looking for. I am thinking about adding some Cascade. Any thoughts and insight would be appreicated.

Prost!

I don't see any problem with doing that. Many people dry hop in the keg so I would go ahead and add the Cascade to the keg and let it sit for a week. I think you will be pleased with the results using Cascade.

Right on Brycel, I appreciate your feedback. I think I will toss it in here shortly.

You could just randalize. Basically you filter the beer through a container filled with aroma hops as it's being served to make sure there is a fresh hoppy aroma to it.... not a very efficient use of hops, but it certainly gets the job done.

edit: if you hop to the keg, i really recommend a bag thats tied of with unwaxed, unscented, unflavored floss. Tie that around the bag to close it up, and leave a length long enough to try and pull out the lid. Your goal here is to keep the hops suspended a bit above your pickup tube so you dont ever create a flow issue. You're also going to want to weight down the hop bag with some chunks of stainless steel to ensure your hop bag isn't just floating on top (lots of hops will remain dry if this is the case and wont contribute anything)

If its carbed, look out for a foam shower! You can do it, but have that lid ready to go

Yeah, I saw the rumble start once I dropped the bag in and I did just that... jammed that lid on quick! LOL! It got saturated enough and sunk below the surface. Thanks for all the advice guys, you rock.

You could just randalize. Basically you filter the beer through a container filled with aroma hops as it's being served to make sure there is a fresh hoppy aroma to it.... not a very efficient use of hops, but it certainly gets the job done.

edit: if you hop to the keg, i really recommend a bag thats tied of with unwaxed, unscented, unflavored floss. Tie that around the bag to close it up, and leave a length long enough to try and pull out the lid. Your goal here is to keep the hops suspended a bit above your pickup tube so you dont ever create a flow issue. You're also going to want to weight down the hop bag with some chunks of stainless steel to ensure your hop bag isn't just floating on top (lots of hops will remain dry if this is the case and wont contribute anything)

I really like that recommendation. I will have to try filtering it through the hops at serving, I could see how that would just pop with flavor. And what the heck, I could rationalize the less efficient use of the hops strictly for that flavor infusion. I will have to add this for a future brew for sure! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back