Trying to Salvage my Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I brewed on Sunday with a new system and way under estimated the boil off and ended up with less than 4 gallons of wort. My SF gravity was over 1.060 and much higher than anticipated... I tasted the wort after chilling and it has a very strong grain flavor.
I pitched my starter in and within a few hours fermetation had started.
After thinking about this, I should have boiled and cooled some water and added to the wort prior to pitching to reduce the SF Gravity. Is it too late to dilute this down now that the fermentation is well under way?

I guess, I could just dry hop the $hit out of it and call it an Imperial Rye Ale

What do you think?

I brewed on Sunday with a new system and way under estimated the boil off and ended up with less than 4 gallons of wort. My SF gravity was over 1.060 and much higher than anticipated... I tasted the wort after chilling and it has a very strong grain flavor.
I pitched my starter in and within a few hours fermetation had started.
After thinking about this, I should have boiled and cooled some water and added to the wort prior to pitching to reduce the SF Gravity. Is it too late to dilute this down now that the fermentation is well under way?

I guess, I could just dry hop the $hit out of it and call it an Imperial Rye Ale

What do you think?

If you want to add water to dilute to your intended SG, that's fine. You can use a calculator (Beersmith has a "dilution tool") to figure out the amount if your math isn't very good. :)

Add boiled/chilled water to top it off . Try to get it to the same temp as the fermenting wort so as to minimize shock. Also try not to aerate if its past 24hrs fermenting.

Back