American Amber; Choco vs Black Patent vs Roasted Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2oz of Roasted Barley is roughly 2 SRM in color (according to Beertools).... I have used 1-2oz. of Roasted Barley in Amber recipes before, but lately I have been using 4oz. of Pale Chocolate Malt (in a 5.5gal batch).

chocolate will give you a faint nutty flavour. Roasted barley will give you a hint of dark-coffee-like roast, and Black Patent in small amounts will give you a slight tartness and very faint vinous note.

They all make nice beers.

Thank you for the response so far but I do not think my question is understood. While the different roasted malts listed may give a slight hint of flavor/aroma, I for the most part think that in 1 -2 oz additions it is pretty negligible. My question is more about the depth of red (i.e. ruby, sangria, blood, etc) and head color (white, off white, cafe au lait, etc). Each of these ingredients should give a different type of red even if you make beers of the same srm...

Back