Quick bottle aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
Not quite sure how to "properly" age in bottles. Do you leave it at room temperature for awhile, move to a colder area for awhile, then leave it in the fridge for a few days before drinking? What I've been doing is leaving it at room temperature until I was ready to drink it (up to 6 or 7 weeks now) then sticking it in the freezer until it gets to serving temp and drinking with less than spectacular results. I'm thinking that's the wrong way to do it.:(

Mr. Awesome said:
Not quite sure how to "properly" age in bottles. Do you leave it at room temperature for awhile, move to a colder area for awhile, then leave it in the fridge for a few days before drinking?

Yup. Generally, you want to carbonate at room temp for three weeks, give or take. Then, your beer will benefit from cold conditioning, the longer, the better. Keep it stored somewhere nice and cool, like your basement. Then, chill for a couple of days in the fridge before drinking.

exactly as posted above. give the beer at least 3 weeks at roomish temps (around 70F) so it can properly carbonate. after that, you could store in a slightly cooler area if its convenient (basement, cellar, etc).

and it is best to chill for 48 hours, at 'proper' beer serving temps (which means not ice cold) before you crack it open. give the liquid time to cool and absorb the CO2. colder liquids hold more gas, in a more stable way.

Back