Changing recipe????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I have a recipe for Pumpkin ale and I have decided not to use Pumpkin in it due to the time of year. Should I use all the ingrediants I have or should I start over. here is what I have

1 lb of German Vienna Malt
1 lb of crystal malt
1 lb of chocolate wheat malt
6 lbs of Dried powder amber malt extract
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup molassas
1 Wyeast 1056 American Ale
1 oz Mt Hood hop pellets
1 oz Hallertau hop pellets
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
I don't think I will add the all spice

Also I have had the yeast in the fridge for several months. It says to move and firmly smack the packet to activate then allow the packet to swell but the packet is alteady swollen I'm afraid that if I hit the packet the pouch will pop. Could I open the packet pop the inner seal then transfer to antother container for a few hours. Or will the O2 hurt the yeast?
Thanks for Your help.
Mike

If the pack is merely swollen a bit, I'd smack it and see what happens. If it is so swollen it looks like a beach ball about to pop, then it has already been smacked. Either way, I suggest a starter to see if you can up the numbers and make the yeast healthy again before pitching. Or get fresh yeast.

As for the recipe, it will be interesting, for sure. Not sure about all the sugar and molassas and no pumpkin. I might be pretty good though. No real way to know without making it and trying. Or you could drop the sugars and molassas. The beer will be a bit weaker, but more malty I would think. If you need the alcohol content, add some more DME to compensate for removing the sugars.

Back