Hello From Southern California!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schleven

Reaction score
First time brewer here. Got my dad a home brew kit for father's day and it's sitting in the bottles at the moment...should be done around Monday. We brewed a West Coast IPA from a kit provided by O'Shea Brewing (http://www.osheabrewing.com/). Everything seemed to go very well...excited to crack one open.

For our next batch, I'd like to do a hoppy Amber/Red Ale. Something along the lines of a Bear Republic Red Rocket. I've heard good things about Jamil's clone (American Amber Ale), found here: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsAmericanAmberAle.htm.

Anyone know of a one stop online shop where I can order all of these ingredients? (I've searched around but haven't found one with a large enough selection to have all of these).
LME Pale (Alexander's) Extract
LME Munich Extract
Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) Grain
Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) Grain
Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) Grain
Chocolate Malt (light) Grain
Horizon Hops
Centennial Hops
Cascade Hops
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Excited for the brews to come!

-Steve

Hi and welcome to the forums and the brewing world.

You should be able to get the ingredients at Morebeer in Southern California which is likely the closest to your location. The hops may be a problem with certain varieties but there are substitutions that you could make.

You won' go wrong following a recipe by Jamil. His Red Rocket clone is called West Coast Blaster.

Hi Steve, where in SoCal are you?

I would expect BrewMaster's Warehouse to carry all that you need. If you can't find something, call or shoot them an e-mail. Very friendly and helpful bunch!

@Gremlyn, I'm in the Newport/Costa Mesa area.

I haven't seen Brewmasters yet. I will definitely check out the site.

EDIT: I just checked the Brewmasters site and they don't appear to have Alexander's liquid malt extract....bummer.

Thanks!

Any specific reason you want to use the Alexander's vs a different pale LME? I'm sure Munton's or Breiss would be just fine as a substitute.

Hey Gremlyn,

I was just going directly from the recipe, which specifically called for Alexander's. Which Briess (Golden Light, Extra Light, Sparkling Amber, Traditional Dark) would be a comparable to Alexander's Pale LME?

Thanks for the help!

-Steve

Back