New to Brew - Selecting suitable grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinh83

Reaction score
I am new to this whole scene and was hoping that someone may assist me. Myself and 2 friend are going to buy a home brew kit and try to make some beer, more specifically an amber ale. At first I am going with a kit to "learn the ropes", but I fancy myself a gardner as well so I thought, "Why not try to grow some of the ingredients myself?"...

What I am wondering is this: What type of hops/wheat/barley would be best suited for my application. I live in central mississippi, temperate zone 8.

If any more information is needed please let me know!

From what I understand, hops take a few seasons before you get a decent yield, and alot of the grains you can purchase for alot less than growing on your own, and going through the ropes of prepairing them for the conversion steps, although If you love it, then more power to you! Maybe we can buy hops from you in the future!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:
You most definitely can grow hops. Barley can be done as well but it is a bit more tricky. It must be malted before you can make beer with it. I'm not saying it's impossible but it is pretty involved.

Latest posts

Back