10 gallons of base malt wort, steeping specialty malts separate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrennert

Reaction score
I've been playing with splitting 10 gallon batches to make two different beers. But, just using different yeasts and dry hopping isn't giving me a ton of variety in the kegerator.

I'm planning on brewing 10 gallons of all base malt (20# Maris otter) about 30ish IBU, and splitting it into two carboys.

Then during the boil I'll separately steep .5# c60, .25# choc malt, .25# roasted barley, and add this to one fermenter to make a porter. And the other I'll leave all base and dry hop to make a pale ale.

Anyone else doing anything similar? I'm worried about not getting enough flavor from the steeped grains, adding the steep to 5 gallons of wort.

it's called "parti-gyle" and brewers do it to get 2, sometimes 3 beers out of one batch

just did one this past weekend

took first 1/3 of runnings and made a barley wine with MO, Victory and Munich, then added sparge water with some crystal 10L (had leftover) and crystal 120 and made an Irish red ale.

you can absolutely make 2 of the same size but different style beers out of one mash and a porter & a pale sounds like a tastyandgood idea

good luck!

I love it. I actually have a 5gal mash tun in addition to my main tun, and I do this by mashing the specialty grains separately. I did an old ale and a pale ale.

kpr121 said:
Do you boil your steeped wort at all after steeping to kill off everything?

Yup! After the steeping, the rest of the process is the same: boil, hop additions, chill, ferment, carbonate, DRINK :)

Latest posts

Back