DFH Golden Shower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
I'd heard about it a while back, and seeing Jackson on Conan reminded me of it. I kinda thought that given the name, it might well be an April Fool's hoax. But, it isn't!

So, I decided to find out something about it. Turns out it's an Imperial Pilsner. Which is sweet, because that's that only style of lager I've found that I care for.....based on one example.

So, I read up on it on DFH's site. They're hyping their complete lack of advertising for this beer, which is pretty cool, I suppose. But.....hype is hype, IMO. Can't wait to get my hands on one so I can decide for myself.

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Limited_Edition_Beers/Golden_Shower/43/index.htm

I want to try it too...somehow i find putting your beer on national tv in front of millions of people counts as advertising, but thats just me.

I'm trying Golden Shower for the first time. It tastes alot like the 120 IPA, it has that sugar/honey aftertaste. Unfortunately it came in a 1 pint 9 oz. bottle.

So far I've had the DFH90 and India Nut Brown...liked 'em both. However, I've seen some of their other offerings that had no appeal whatsoever to me based on the labeling. I'm starting to agree with Walker that they're a bit gimmicky. They do have a book out that talks about how they got their business started, might shed some light on things:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471708682/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 2 DFH beers I've tried were not good. I love the 60 and 90 minute IPA's and I also liked the Raison D'Etre. I have a bottle of the Immort Ale in the fridge. I don't know if they are gimmicky although in this case it's hard to argue with the name Golden Shower.
Has anyone tried their Midas Touch?

I saw the 120 in the singles section at 'total wine'. And the price was marked 8.99 a six pack, so i brought it up to the register and it rung up 8.99 for one 12 oz bottle! I dont even like barley wines, i just wanted to try it, but screw that!

My fav from them is the 60, its good, and different.

apparently the founder has a degree in marketing from NYU, and they really know how to sell overpriced beer ill give them that, but yeah they are annoying as hell....

DFH is currently on a 3 beer losing streak. Tried the Immort Ale, very strong with oak and maple flavors to cover up the 11% abv. Anyone know what Immort means? I looked it up in 2 dictionaries and couldn't find it in either one. The label has what looks to be a doppler-radar picture of a hurricane with an X through it.

HurricaneFloyd said:
DFH is currently on a 3 beer losing streak. Tried the Immort Ale, very strong with oak and maple flavors to cover up the 11% abv. Anyone know what Immort means?

Immort-ale = immortal?

I guess so. This stuff will probably live forever since no one is going to drink it.

HurricaneFloyd said:
I guess so. This stuff will probably live forever since no one is going to drink it.

I totally agree man. I hate that Immort Ale. The only thing I enjoy from DFH is 90 minute. I've had the opportunity to sample quite a few of their beers too. Not too impressed with the rest of the stuff for the prices it commands.

I like Immort Ale. :D I think we screwed up on the Golden Shower (oh man), though. Right before it we had a buddy's monsterous IPA called "The Funk". I agree the GS was a little sweet, but damn near anything would be after that monster.

I'll probably give it another shot, sometime before I burn up my pallate with the gnarly stuff.

I just tried the Immort Ale this weekend. It was a bit much.

I do like the golden shower though....my only complaint is that the mouthfeel is a bit "heavy" like some others have described. It's still pretty cool asking the hot girl at the paint store for a golden shower! :ban:

Back