Clear my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtjohnston

Reaction score
New to the whole cider thing... Is there anything I can add to make my cider more clear?

wait it out....or cold crash it.

That being said, what ingredients are you using, and how are they being handled? Heat pasturization will set the pectins in your juice, I am not sure if you can even expect that to clear...correct me if I am wrong.

When I first started making cider, I used health food store bought heat pasturized organic cider. While it came out very good, it never really cleared, or rather, my wife never gave it a chance to:tank:

wolfstar said:
wait it out....or cold crash it.

That being said, what ingredients are you using, and how are they being handled? Heat pasturization will set the pectins in your juice, I am not sure if you can even expect that to clear...correct me if I am wrong.

When I first started making cider, I used health food store bought heat pasturized organic cider. While it came out very good, it never really cleared, or rather, my wife never gave it a chance to:tank:

I'm using uv pasteurized cider, from my local orchard. I also added a little bit of cinnamon, cloves, honey, and brown sugar. I don't expect it to clear, an for this one, I don't care too much. Since it's my first one, I'm probably going to drink it all, not show other people.

I didn't boil it (which will set the pectins, you're correct).

What can I do the next time I brew, so that my cider comes out clear? I'm hoping to carbonate it next time, if that makes any difference.

It will clear, just give it time & it'll clear all on it's own. Or use chemicals & force it to clear faster, either way, it's your choice. Regards, GF.

All my ciders have cleared in a couple of weeks.

I tried gelatin to clear my first batch, it worked, but made a slurry at the bottom. then turns out it would clear on it's own.

If u don't wait for it to clear in the secondary, it will clear in the bottle, but there will be more sediment to avoid.

Back