Rye SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
was trying to decide between doing an american rye or roggenbier for an upcoming beer, but now I'm leaning towards just making it a rye SMASH. I'm undecided on which hop to use, but I'm thinking hersbrucker, mittelfruh, or spalt select. I do BIAB so hopefully that should at least reduce some of the difficulty with this.

OG: 1.05ish
IBU: 22ish

11lbs Rye malt

1.5oz Hersbrucker (3.2%AA) FWH
0.75oz Hersbrucker @flameout
1oz Hersbrucker @dry hop

WLP029 Kolsch yeast

Mash @110F for 20mins (beta-glucanase rest), 151F for 60mins
Ferment @62F, lager 1+ weeks

Let me know if you have any advice, suggestions, or otherwise.

I googled all-rye beer a while back just out of curiosity and some brewery out in California or Washington or something did this. Apparently, it was tough but the results were good. I recall reading that they had to add chocolate rye to the second attempt because the color of the first attempt at all-rye was totally off - like gray dishwater.

Anyway, google it when you can - the article was something like "first commercially sold all-rye beer." Good luck!

Can Rye convert itself? Might want to check that out. I thought it couldnt but not able to check my books at work.

Can Rye convert itself? Might want to check that out. I thought it couldnt but not able to check my books at work.

yup, DP105

thanks, I actually read that after I thought of the idea to see if anyone else has done it. I may grab a touch of chocolate rye in case it does look like a$$, but I don't totally care about the color since I'm not trying to sell it.

made a starter for this out of rye this past weekend. just wanted to give it a test run before the real batch. worked out fine without any issues (~1.045 in 1L from 0.5lb) and thankfully didn't look like grey dishwater

anybody else have any thoughts on this before I do the real thing this weekend? I keep messing around with my hop schedule if anyone wants to chime in on that. I have about 3-3.25oz of each of the hops listed above and would like to finish one off in this and they're all mid 3s for AAs. thanks for the help

ya, it came out pretty well, but not like an intense rye flavor like you;d expect. that stuff was crazy viscous after boil, like it stopped my hydrometer from spinning. would i do it again? prolly not, but that doesnt mean its not worth trying. i do think cascade would make a better pairing.

I did a rye SMaSH a while back and found the same thing, viscous as all he11. It tasted okay, but the beer didn't just have mouth feel, it straight up had texture, like you could stick a spoon up right in a pint.

Back