Doing a rye IPA this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing my first rye IPA this coming weekend and figured I'd check thoughts on the recipe beforehand:
3gal batch, est. 75% efficiency, 4gal boil
OG: 1.087ish
IBU: 90ish
SRM: 11ish
6# marris otter malt
1.5# rye malt
1# munich malt
0.5# flaked rye
0.5# flaked wheat
0.0625# roasted barley
1oz Nugget/Chinook mix FWH
0.25oz Nugget/Chinook mix (15,10,5,0min)
1.5oz Nugget/Chinook mix Dry hop 5-7days
US-05
Mash 149-151F for 60mins

Originally I was thinking amarillo and chinook, but I have some nugget already opened so I want to use some more of that up. Along with those 3, I also have williamette, goldings, and centennial if anyone thinks any of those would make a better combo. Any suggestions?

It will almost be a black IPA with that roasted barley. But I like the combo of nuggets and also Willamette will possibily be good to compliment the flavors. I don't know how the citrus of Centennial or Chinook will go with the roasted flavor of your brew. Try the Goldings also.

It will almost be a black IPA with that roasted barley. But I like the combo of nuggets and also Willamette will possibily be good to compliment the flavors. I don't know how the citrus of Centennial or Chinook will go with the roasted flavor of your brew. Try the Goldings also.

There shouldn't be any roasted flavor, it's only 1oz. I'll switch it all to lbs to limit any future confusion

There shouldn't be any roasted flavor, it's only 1oz. I'll switch it all to lbs to limit any future confusion

You would be surprised what 1 oz of Roasted Barley will add to a 3 gallon batch.

I add 1 oz. to my BCB Robust Porter (5.5 gal. batch) to get my coffee hints and they come out in spades.

A little goes a long way.

Personally, I would cut it back to 1/4 oz. or eliminate it completely if you do not want coffee roasted goodness in your IPA.

1 oz. will be overwhelming IMHO.

You would be surprised what 1 oz of Roasted Barley will add to a 3 gallon batch.

I add 1 oz. to my BCB Robust Porter (5.5 gal. batch) to get my coffee hints and they come out in spades.

A little goes a long way.

Personally, I would cut it back to 1/4 oz. or eliminate it completely if you do not want coffee roasted goodness in your IPA.

1 oz. will be overwhelming IMHO.

oh really? hmm, I was just looking for it to add a little color and some dryness to help accentuate the rye n hops. would black malt do that?

Black malt is pretty potent, flavor-wise (and color-wise) too.

Maybe a little melanoidin malt? Or even brown malt...

Ended up going with this:
6# Marris Otter
1.25# Rye Malt
1# Munich
0.5# Flaked Rye
0.5# Flaked Wheat
3oz C60
0.4oz Roasted Barley
Currently mashing it at 152

It ended up coming out a nice dark red, a little sweeter than hoped and the rye is buried under the 2.25oz dry hop, but good altogether. For a 8.5% brew its well hidden. The final #s came out to be 1.085 OG, 1.02 FG, 96 IBUS, 15ish SRM
I'd say this or my chinook APA is my best beer to date, but there's some room for improvement. When I redo it, I plan on upping the total rye to 25%, swapping out munich for vienna, and using some sugar to help dry it out. I also plan to add centennial into the hop mix, drop the IBUs a touch and mash a little lower. I think it should take this from good to great.

Back