Can anyone identify this leaf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got this rhizome in the "Pay it forward" thread last year, and the poster I got it from (I forgot who, sorry!) didn't know what it was.

Now that the leaves are getting bigger, can anyone identify them? They don't seem to match with anything anyone else has posted so far.

0527001751.jpg

They look a lot like my Tettnanger's leaves when it was a little smaller, but I've heard it's very difficult to identify hopes without tasting them.

I don't really think you can accurately identify the variety of hops by their leaves or their cones. Sorry.

sure you didn't get your pictures mixed up? that kinda looks like a geranium. only kidding. most varieties will assume a pretty identifiable leaf structure once mature (not saying that you can make a positive identity all the time), and if the plants are not growing in a good environment, it may take a few years for them to produce leaves characteristic of that particular variety. same thing with the cones. the first year or two (sometimes) they just have a pleasant kind of 'hoppy' aroma to them. maybe by the end of the growing season they'll start showing more 'mature' looking leaves. keep us posted!

I bet the growing environment is my problem. Because I live in a three story townhouse, it doesn't start getting sun until around noon. Luckily, there is a cemetery in front of my house, so once it gets the sun, its gets it for the rest of the day. Guess I'm just going to have to be patient. Thanks!

I have cascade, crystal, chinook, centennial, newport, nugget, magnum, goldings, fuggle, Willamette, Mt Hood...

I have never seen a leaf like that in my yard. As others have pointed out, that is not totally conclusive evidence that it isn't some still underdeveloped leaf from one of those varieties, but I tend to doubt it.

And you should have plenty of sunlight if you get indirect light until noon and direct light from noon till dusk.

Back