What Are You Lookin At???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
IMG_3493ss.JPG

worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

full size 4.5MB - http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

Wow! Great macro work! Did you take that yourself? If so, what camera and lens did you use? What the hell kind of insect is that? Being a photographer myself, I can truly appreciate how difficult it can be to get macro shots of living creatures to come out that good.

John

John

This was a reverse lens shot with my Canon Rebel XT, 17-85mm IS 4.0-5.6 EFS lens... set at 17mm, ISO100, 1/160th shutter with flash. Reversing the lens means you actually remove the lens from the camera and hold the front up tight against the body (backwards). You point the back of the lens at the subject, use manual mode to control exposure, and use range to the subject to control focus. You can get ring adapters for some size lenses... I have heard about a 58mm adapter for the 15-55mm beginner lens (or others such as the 50mm 1.4 prime). You get INSANE magnification out of a otherwise normal wide angle low zoom lens.

I dont know what magnification this is... you would have to spend about $800 for the new 65mm MP lens from canon, possibly with extension tubes, to get a shot that close.

honeslty.... i wasnt expecting results even half this good. I saw how close I was getting when I was shooting this and my jaw dropped. After I shot like 100 pictures varying flash and and exposure... I got this one and ---->
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

its a mosquito.... Aedes aegypti

It was kinda funny circumstance how he got into my living room too. I broke my bike rear derauler a while back and needed to get some spare parts out of a box on my deck. I had some axle lube for my mustang in the box that had exploded inside a zip lock bag, and was stinking like hell, so I threw the bag in my kitchen garbage and was gonna take it out in the morning. I forgot, and when I came home that afternoon my entire place STUNK like axle lube (its one of the worst smells on the planet if you have ever taken apart a rear end of a car). So I left my deck door open to air the joint out, but forgot to leave the screen door shut. This little bugger flew rught on to my right rear speaker and chilled out. I saw him, nearly crushed him, then decided it would be a good subject to take macro photos of. The little bugger stayed still for over an hour allowing me to perfect my first attempt at reverse lens macro photography. He lived :)

Great story! And yes I am familiar with the revolting stench of old, used up gear lube. I have a 76 T/A that I restored. What year Mustang are we talking about here?

I have heard about reversing lenses and the ring adapters that allow you to do it without having to hold the lens up to the body, but I have never tried it. I have a 50mm and 100mm macro lens for my old Minolta X-700 along with some extension tubes, auto-bellows and macro stand that I have used for my macro work in the past. I have not done any in years, since I got lazy and went with a consumer digital camera. I now mostly take shots of my kids. You have inspired me to break out the old film stuff and start playing around again.

John

sirsloop said:
John

This was a reverse lens shot with my Canon Rebel XT, 17-85mm IS 4.0-5.6 EFS lens... set at 17mm, ISO100, 1/160th shutter with flash. Reversing the lens means you actually remove the lens from the camera and hold the front up tight against the body (backwards). You point the back of the lens at the subject, use manual mode to control exposure, and use range to the subject to control focus. You can get ring adapters for some size lenses... I have heard about a 58mm adapter for the 15-55mm beginner lens (or others such as the 50mm 1.4 prime). You get INSANE magnification out of a otherwise normal wide angle low zoom lens.

I dont know what magnification this is... you would have to spend about $800 for the new 65mm MP lens from canon, possibly with extension tubes, to get a shot that close.

honeslty.... i wasnt expecting results even half this good. I saw how close I was getting when I was shooting this and my jaw dropped. After I shot like 100 pictures varying flash and and exposure... I got this one and ---->
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

its a mosquito.... Aedes aegypti

It was kinda funny circumstance how he got into my living room too. I broke my bike rear derauler a while back and needed to get some spare parts out of a box on my deck. I had some axle lube for my mustang in the box that had exploded inside a zip lock bag, and was stinking like hell, so I threw the bag in my kitchen garbage and was gonna take it out in the morning. I forgot, and when I came home that afternoon my entire place STUNK like axle lube (its one of the worst smells on the planet if you have ever taken apart a rear end of a car). So I left my deck door open to air the joint out, but forgot to leave the screen door shut. This little bugger flew rught on to my right rear speaker and chilled out. I saw him, nearly crushed him, then decided it would be a good subject to take macro photos of. The little bugger stayed still for over an hour allowing me to perfect my first attempt at reverse lens macro photography. He lived :)

Wow, I didn't understand any of that but if it was up me I just would have stepped on that bug. Then my version of the story would have just plain sucked!

not if you had a homebrew in one hand!! HAHAH!!!

if you ever get a SLR camera you'll know exactly what i'm talkin about... until them RAHAHB... mmmm... german chocolate stout.....goooooddd

Back