favorite bourbons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall reading about some small distillery making hopped whiskey from an IPA and supposedly it is quite good. I know Rogue also makes "dead guy whisky" using the same grains but I suspect the recipe is different from the beer and certainly lacking the hops.

The Rouge dead guy also lacks flavor. Its only aged 1 month. Left me feeling quite disappointed. Just my 2 cents, i like a whiskey with more bite. I would like to try something distilled from an IPA that sounds intriguing.

Elijah Craig has been mentioned a couple times, but I'm going to specifically put in a vote for their 18yr bourbon. It's head and shoulders above their 12yr and hands down the best I've had. It's $55-60 a bottle, but if I'm drinking it straight there's nothing better.

I really want to find that local, all I can find is 12yr. If 18yr is so much better then I really should be in for a treat beings that Craig 12yr itself is head and shoulders better than a lot of the mainstream brands. In my opinion that is...

You are all way bigger afficianados than I am. I can only afford Ezra Brooks. It's 90 proof, and tastes really good on the rocks to my uneducated pallet. Plus it's very inexpensive, ~$26 1.75L, like I said I can't afford the high end stuff.

You are all way bigger afficianados than I am. I can only afford Ezra Brooks. It's 90 proof, and tastes really good on the rocks to my uneducated pallet. Plus it's very inexpensive, ~$26 1.75L, like I said I can't afford the high end stuff.

My pallet is fairly uneducated also, but there is a world of difference between the taste of Jack and the taste of Elijah 12yr - Which is $28 around my parts. And, it tastes good sipped straight up no need for the ice. You should look around to see if you can find it. Hmmm, you just motivated me to pour a glass right now! Yum...

No love for Stranahan's? Not technically bourbon, since it's out of CO, but after ruining bourbon for myself about 10 years ago after mass consumption over a period of 6 months, this is the only "bourbon" that could get me back on the mule.

Clark

I’ve recently discovered Woodinville Whisky of Woodinville WA. Very good stuff.
I also like Basil Hayden’s, Knob Creek & Makers. Our local Fred Meyers carries a Prestige brand Bourbon… $8 something a bottle… but after a glass or two of the good stuff, it’s not bad at all….
For Scotch… Balvenie my 1st and favorite of all. Bush Mills (ok it’s Irish) and Macallan anything Speyside really.
Then… Cognac hmm… love me good Cognac… Remy, Camus, Hennessy

Bulliet, basil haydens, knob creek...even wild turkey is good sometimes...lots of good (drier in my case) bourbons on the market. Seems their small batch, 'artisan' liqours are keeping up with craft brew

I prefer Irish Whiskey, especially Bushmills. When I drink bourbon, it's Makers.

I have a bottle of Bushmills 16yr single malt right now. Damn good stuff.

MaddBaggins said:
I prefer Irish Whiskey, especially Bushmills. When I drink bourbon, it's Makers.

I have a bottle of Bushmills 16yr single malt right now. Damn good stuff.

I went on a tour of the Bushmills distillery. They sell a 12 yr single malt that you can only get there. That stuff was so smooth and tasty. Try Red Breast for Irish whiskey. You won't be disappointed.

I still need to try Red Breast, so I think I will grab a bottle this week.

A few of us went on the KY Bourbon trail a couple months back, toured all 6 distilleries plus Buffalo Trace. Makers and Buffalo Trace were the best tours by far, what a great experience. Picked-up a signed bottle of Makers 46 and a bottle of Buffalo Trace's Bourbon Cream, which is very good and all the wives love.

MB Roland distillery makes an awesome bourbon. It's only available local though unless you pay to ship it. Luckily I know the head distiller.

8 Seconds is a fave..

One that surprised me -
1979 Hiram Walker's 10 high... Don't laugh... Its wasn't always steel gut.

The bottle i have was made in Peoria, IL back when IL could legally produce "Bourbon". When they sold the factory back in 82' is when it all went down hill. Aroma is so/so, and dosent really stick out. Very light with hints of Carmel and a bit of spice. Flavor is a light Carmel with almost no lingering aftertaste. Bits of fig and sweetness come through. No burning as it goes down, just a mellow warming. VERY easy drinking and smooth.

Others i have in my CURRENT collection:
Buffalo Trace
Jack - Honey
Jack
Bulleit
Gentalman Jack
Single Barrel Jack
Bookers

To call something bourbon it needs to come from Kentucky. I do prefer, Makers Mark and Knob Creek over most others.

To call something bourbon it needs to come from Kentucky. I do prefer, Makers Mark and Knob Creek over most others.

Nope, sorry friend but your wrong.

Check your "Federal Standards to Identity Distilled Spirits" If i'm not mistaken its under Title 27 Part 5 of the CFR regulations. A resolution of the U.S. Congress in 1964 declared bourbon to be a "distinctive product of the United States." Its only requirements other than process and ingredients is it is made in the US.

It is also a misunderstanding that bourbon has to be aged for long periods to be called bourbon (as does scotch) BUT Bourbon only has to be aged a short time and no "proper" length of time is given unless you want to label as "Straight Bourbon" then a minimum of 2 years ageing is necessary as compared to the 8 years that scotch has to age. Bourbon was originated in Bardstown, Kentucky but is not the end all be all of bourbon.

Yes 97% percent of bourbon is made in Kentucky that means nothing about its legal definition. If i wanted to start up a nano distillery in CA i could call my product Bourbon.

ever since i did the buffalo trace tour in Frankfort, it has become my favorite bourbon.

i'm going to be honest...unless alcohol content is different, i can't tell much of a difference between bourbons costing over say $20.

my friend got me a bottle of bourbon with a horse on the cap. it looks very fancy. i look forward to trying it but haven't found the occasion, yet.

Woodford Reserve Special Reserve is nice, going to be heading down past the 4 Roses distillery this month so will grab a bottle fro them to try

almost forgot . . . . My road trip lewts :ban:

531681_3951693322463_1956035519_n.jpg

I had my first taste of Blantons last weekend and it was delicious. I know you say I may have ruined it but I did drop one small ice cube in it. It's been hot as hell here so a cool sipper to go with my Bell's Two Hearted Ale along and a Padron was a nice way to end the evening.
picture027qf.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-17
picture028mc.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-17

I've heard good things about the Four Roses. I keep watching for it to show up around here. We just got a BevMo so hopefully our selection will improve.

Bernheim is one of my favorites in the reasonably priced category...haven't tried something like Pappy Van Winkle as I'm not willing to pay that kind of money on a bourbon though. As far as American whiskey is concerned though my current favorite is Dry Fly, it doesn't have the sweetness of bourbon but it is still very smooth. However, nothing can compare to a good peaty Islay scotch IMO.

I've heard good things about the Four Roses. I keep watching for it to show up around here. We just got a BevMo so hopefully our selection will improve.

And hopefully our prices too...the grocery stores suck so far, but Costco isn't too bad.

Ya, i hope so. The gouge from the sin tax imposed is bad enough. I live in Tacoma and go right past it on the way home. I'll report back. :mug:

And hopefully our prices too...the grocery stores suck so far, but Costco isn't too bad.

Oh man, they sell bourbon at Costco in WA state? The most we get at Costco in VA is mediocre beer and MD doesn't get squat for alcohol.

I love:
Blantons
Bookers
Woodford Reserve
Jim Bean Black
Gentleman Jack
Bulleit Rye and Regular
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare

I like:
Beam
Wild Turkey
Makers
Many others

In my opinion, Makers is overrated and benefits from a superb marketing campaign. But everyone has different tastes.

costco spirits are a great deal!

and i started on makers...way too sweet for me now. forgot about rye (been beer drinking since i've been brewing!)...ryes are great for making manhattans or old fashioneds, too!

Back