Help, First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
A friend of mine has done me a bunch of favors lately so I decided to brew a continental pilsner, which he had been been begging me to make for a while.

Anyway I went down to the fermentation freezer to transfer to the keg and I found (See Pic)

18b5434d.jpg

The beer smells awesome, but it looks like (bright white stuff) it has acrylic shavings floating on top. Is this normal when lagering? Everything was clean all thru the process, and I did not notice anything funky last week when I took a peek. Beer appears clear below, temp in freezer is set at 46.

Well, darn it. That doesn't look good at all. It doesn't look like you have much headspace from that angle, but maybe some oxygen snuck in there anyway and let some infection take hold.

I'd probably rack that right away out from under whatever that is and try to stop it ASAP. Kegging it and keeping it cold (I lager at 34 degrees) might prevent whatever that is from getting too far advanced before drinking it.

I just checked freezer was set at 40. I racked to a corny and am rolling it now. Beer was all clear going into the keg, I left a good Inch in the carboy.

Latest posts

Back