Boiling Water into Ale Pail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I went ahead and decided to boil the 2 1/2 gallons that I will pour my wort into once its complete later today. At what temperature does it need to be before I can put this into the Ale Pail? I see some procedures don't have you boiling this water, but is it a good idea to do it anyway? I am using chlorine filtered water and it does taste okay.

It's probably a good idea to let that top-up water cool at least to the point where you can transfer it safely without scalding yourself.

Whether to boil the water you intend to use for topping off your wort depends on how confident you are in the quality of your tap water. If you have the time (meaning, the water you boil will be cooled by the time you're ready to top up), then boiling it first doesn't hurt anything.

Hope your brew goes well today!

i would get it as cold as possible, so that the top off water will help cool the hot wort.

it can be handy to get 1 gallon plastic jugs, like what spring water comes in, so you can put em in the fridge.

I've honestly only boiled top off water a couple times, and never had it bite me in the ass when I didn't.
Treating for chloramine, however, has started giving me slightly better beers. We don't have a ton of it in our water, but a little campden is giving me a cleaner final beer. Filter it out or neutralize it...it'll be good for the beer.

The best thing to do, I've realized, is to pre-boil the day before so it doesn't turn into a long brew day. I've already botched the process a bit, I let all the grains bunch at the bottom of the seep bag rather than spread them out. Oh well, next time....

Latest posts

Back