Keggle siphen tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I'm finishing off my keggle build & can't seem to find out what diameter & connections are used for the siphen tube.

I have a SS bulkhead from bargain fittings w/ female threads. I have some 3/8" copper tubing for my immersion chiller.

Can i just use the 3/8" copper, put a bend & buy male thread to weld slip fitting of some sort?

Is 3/8" large enough diameter?

What is the standard?

I've done searches & can't seem to find this info.

Thanks,
Aaron

I use 1/2" stainless tubing with a compression fitting so it's easy to take on and off. You could use copper. Look on Bargain Fittings website, he is selling tubes and fittings.

My first dip tube was 3/8 into 1/2 ball valve via compression fitting...sucked. Clogged very easily w/break and hop trub (even with bags).

Second try has gone much better...3/4 copper I had left over from a plumbing repair and setup as such: 3/4 sweat to union, sweat to 1/2 male thread to 1/2 ball valve...drains like a champ (as long as I use hop bags & whirlpool).
3/4 is overkill...go 1/2 and you should be good...unless you go 3/4 the whole way.

Good luck with whichever you choose...be prepared for challenges though.

Just got back from another trip to HD. I got 24" of 1/2" copper pipe, 2 -1/2" to threaded male adapters, 2 90 degree elbows for like $7. Not bad. I'm making 2 siphen tubes for 2 keggles. I wanted to go with flexable copper tubing but would have had to pay $25 bucks for a roll, so I went rigid & will solder an elbow.

Should i maybe turn my elbow at a 45ish angle in the center to enhance a whirlpooling effect?

Back