Self-cooling cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The average American drinks 22 Gallons of beer annually, and even though this product would demand a large price premium over a traditional can, the convenience factor and bragging rights would make this a must have item. Camping and fishing will drive the initial sales, and as volumes increase more and more uses will be found"

"The specially modified cans use proprietary engineering to create a temperature drop that will reduce the I.C. Can contents by a minimum of 30° Fahrenheit in just three minutes. When activated, the all natural desiccant contained within a vacuum draws the heat from the beverage through the evaporator into an insulated heat-sink container. It is this patented vacuum-power which lowers the temperature so dramatically and quickly, leaving the beverage inside cold.
....The I.C. Technology is 100% safe non-toxic and environmentally benign, because the whole process is the driven by the simple physics of water evaporation."

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/miller.html

I wonder if a larger version would be good for wort cooling???

Any one want to place any bets as to how much Miller Light drinkers will pay for a giant 10.5oz beer?

Bag of ice and cheap styrophom cooler go for about $4.

I know some people buy Miller because it's what they like, but I'll bet a large percentage of their customers buy because of the price.

tempra.jpg

There was an attempt at self-cooling cans about 30 years ago. That design used CO2 under pressure. Pulling the tab released it, cooling the can. Big problem: warm beer with a chunk of ice floating in it.

To paraphase a cattleman, "10.5 oz. ain't enough to get your glass wet."

That is too cool! No pun intended. I am just amazed how the principles of artificial refrigeration can be applied with simple methods. I don't ever see an increase in sales to justify the investment, someone was thinking too hard on that one. Personally, the best marketing strategy I have seen in awhile is Michelob Ultra Amber. They had nothing to lose on that one when the investment is a couple drops of caramel coloring.

Latest posts

Back