Name change & 1st label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
Seeing as though my first born is finishing up bottle conditioning, I had to figure out what I was going to do about my brewery name and a label. After much consideration, "Braindead Brewing Co." was lacking and not too appealing when considering a logo..."Eastern Outlaw Brewing Co." just didn't have the feel/ring that I was looking for...I have 'tenatively' settled on 'Birch Point Brewing Co.' for a camp that we own on a lake that is located on a point known by some as Birch Point.

I figured out some parts of GIMP, but have no idea how you guys get the banners and borders and drawing components on your labels. I resorted to just overlaying a photo with text and some modifications...it's nothing like some of the simply genius labels I've seen here, but it'll do for my first. It is an ordinary amber ale, so I figured I'd give it the general 'American Amber' name. Hopefully I'll get more creative as I go along...

320888904_ee9jE-L.jpg

I printed them on a laser printer and labeled 1 of the 2 cases last night, using whole milk and a sponge...worked pretty slick, only complaint is the small text came out too small, legible but barely. Thats it...I need to figure out this vector and banner/border stuff, I'm jealous seeing the stuff some you guys produce!!!

The Birch Point actually came out pretty well on paper, I wanted something that blended in but was still noticeable...this was as close as I got. Maybe I'll try to bring it out more or make it more pronounced. This whole thing is tough because I'm still not 'totally' in love with the name, but it works.

BTW...not only your label, but Bare Tree Brewing Co. is probably my fav brewery name on this board, could be because I'm a hunter and spend a lot of time in 'bare trees', but whatever the reason, I love the name. Let me know if you ever give up on it!!! J/K

Label looks good. My only critique is that the font you used for "Amber Ale" doesn't really go with the rest of the image. While I do like it on its own, the font is just too grundge for the label.

Here's a list of tutorial for GIMP:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

If you want to get started on drawing banners, start learning how to use the pen tool/bezier curve (i guess it's called the path tool in GIMP). Here's a link to the tutorial.

And then check out this link on how to do ribbon banners. [ clicky-clicky ]

i disagree with A4J,

I think if any of the fonts go with the pic, its the amber ale font.. i think that looks really great. Almost makes me want to go to REI and buy some hiking gear! lol

thanks for the compliment btw.. i think im keeping it for a while though :cross:

Back