RIMS Temperature Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnorberg

Reaction score
Well on my wayto building my RIMS system with a Kal-style control panel and Stout/Brewer's Hardware RIMS tube.

I plan to mount the RTD probe for the PID in the RIMS tube (please excuse the EUAA (excessive use of acronyms and abbreviations))like it's designed.

My question to everyone: is it overkill to monitor the mash temp as it exits the mash tun, prior to the RIMS tube, as well?

I could easily install an additional probe/PID readout for a reference temp, but If i'm recirculating with a pump, there shouldn't be too much stratification, right?

Has anyone checked their temp. differences? I'm assuming it's not worth the effort if there's only a 1'F difference...

That's what I do, it gives me a good idea of the Delta and how well the temp is distributed....I even stick a probe in the grain bed but that's just me being a geek I think.

helibrewer: how much of a temp drop/strification do you see and what are you monitoring it with?

OMJ: best of luck, if you're looking for any resources I'd be happy to help. Once I finish everything up, I'll post pics

It's always a good idea to monitor the mash temp by sticking a hand held probe in the mash itself for a few brews - differences may only be a couple degrees once the temperature stabilizes, but it's nice to know so you can compensate your setting a degree or two. Once you know, what's the purpose of having a mash temp? It shouldn't change relative to the RIMs tube batch to batch.

Don't forget to calibrate the probes, as well. Seems many people confuse resolution with accuracy. It may read 152.6, but it's really 152.6 +/- 2 or more degrees or something like that(hopefully better). Another good reason to check your mash temp initially with a real accurate thermometer.

RTDs will do +/- 0.1 degree or better usually. as long as you measure the initial accuracy and compensate for any variance, the precision over long term is very stable.

is it overkill to monitor the mash temp as it exits the mash tun, prior to the RIMS tube, as well?

I could easily install an additional probe/PID readout for a reference temp, but If i'm recirculating with a pump, there shouldn't be too much stratification, right?

not a bad idea, i plan on doing this eventually. if you are constantly recirculating, there shouldnt be much any stratification besides the small amount of losses while the wort is traveling from top to bottom. the lower your flow rate, the larger the losses from top to bottom will be.

I always double check my mash temps against my PID with an Omega HH806AU. The largest differential I ever get is during mash in where things are settling in. You might see a 2F differential that converges within 10 minutes.

The important thing I see is extremely stable mash temps. You might see the temp recording on the PID fluctuate, but the mash stays within tenth of degree. As for stratification; that is certainly not an issue.

FWIW - I mash @ 1.4 qts/lb with a constant, medium recirculation rate (march 815). Blichmann 10 gallon MLT.

I think it's overkill to add the probe. I mean, if the liquid leaving the tube is at the proper temp, your mash should be pretty stable. Would seem odd to start dialing the PID in above the set temp to compensate.

Just my 2 cents. Then again, some think a RIMS tube is overkill.

Thanks for eveyone's $.02, I appreciate the info.

A few of you actually brought up one of my other questions about circulation rates:

What type of flow rate should I recirculate the mash? I have a 7 GPM Chugger pump, but I'll be able to throttle the flow down with a ball valve if need be. How accurate does the flow rate need to be? Is it worth going as far as installing an in-line flow meter? Say something like: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4853-hydronix-inline-flowmeter.aspx?

Also, I'm installing a Stout tri-clamp sparge arm into my Blichmann Mash Tun as well. Should I recirculate through the sparge arm, or will that limit the flow too much?

Flow rate will be dependent on your system and crush. If you have good husk integrity and a large surface to your false bottom, you can probably run a little faster. You will have no trouble figuring it out - a flow meter would be excess gadgetry. That said - now I kinda want one haha ;)

I recirc with a loc-line tube installed in the lid. I can set it right on top of the grain bed every time. The lid install makes it easy to transfer wort to the boil kettle w/o changing hoses.

What type of flow rate should I recirculate the mash?
i agree with the above; its going to vary depending on the crush and also the amount of grain you have for that particular batch, the surface area of your false bottom, and the amount of liquid. a flow meter, like the additional temp probe, is not necessary at all, but wouldnt hurt if you wanted it.

i try to recirculate the entire volume of my mash about 10 times over the course of the mash (60 min), or once every 5-6 minutes. that means that it takes 5-6 minutes for the water entering the top of the mash column, to travel its way to the bottom. if you have 4 gallons of water in there, that means about 40 gallons per hour, or 2.6 quarts (about half a gallon) per minute. again, this is highly variable, and these numbers are just what i try to do for my system so that i get similar repeatable results. im sure other people have success using completely different flow rates than mine.

Latest posts

Back