Poll: How much hops in your IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many ounces of hops in your IPA

• 4 oz

• 5 oz

• 6 oz

• 7 oz

• 8+ oz

Results are only viewable after voting.
totally depends on what type of hops I'm using and how much AA they have. I'd think a poll of how many IBU would be much more useful.

My last IPA used:
1 oz bittering (columbus/centennial)
1 oz flavor (columbus/centennial)
1 oz flamout (columbus/centennial)
1 oz dry (columbus/centennial)

came in at about 65IBU and 1.06 OG.

It all depends on the hops and it depends on the recipe. I could probably get away with using 4-5 ounces of hops, but I have one recipe that is hop bursted and is like 9-11 ounces depending on what I put in it.

totally depends on what type of hops I'm using and how much AA they have. I'd think a poll of how many IBU would be much more useful.

My last IPA used:
1 oz bittering (columbus/centennial)
1 oz flavor (columbus/centennial)
1 oz flamout (columbus/centennial)
1 oz dry (columbus/centennial)

came in at about 65IBU and 1.06 OG.

Agreed, IBU would be a better poll.

but usually around 4-6 oz.

If I'm going for a basic IPA, I'll do 6-10 oz (depending which hops) with enough bittering to keep myself around a 1-1.1 BU:GU ratio. My IIPA I dry hopped over the weekend has 14 oz.

IBU won't factor in flameout and dry hop additions

true.. if the question is how much aroma hops - then how many oz. is actually a decent poll. I've actually wondered that myself, I think I tend towards the lighter side of aroma hopping - I find an ounce in the keg goes pretty far so I don't really do tons more than that - diminishing returns is my thought.

I like to use a high aa hop for bittering then load up about 4-5 oz from 15min to flameout. I'll generally use 1-2 oz in the dryhop from there.

Latest posts

Back