Airlock Evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I noticed the other day, around a week after I closed up the house and turned the heat on for the season, that the starsan solution had evaporated out of my airlocks - all three of them which were on active vessels. Son of a B***h. Anyone else run into this crap? Or am I the only person in the world who has a dry house in the winter.

Wow, yes the house is drier in the winter, but I've only had to refill airlocks on longer term projects like meads & wines. Did you keep the airlock caps on?

Yes I keep the caps on, however these have been hanging around for at least 8 weeks each (staggered as I brew).

Are you sure it's evaporation and not suckback from atmospheric pressure/temp changes? If it's a better bottle or bucket that is usually the cause for a liquidless airlock.

No I am not sure Revvy, hadn't thought of that. Assumed it was evaporation. How could I tell the difference? I'm at a loss. Now I am just monitoring the airlock, I only have one remaining active, my SNPA clone.

Back