Do flameout additions add oiliness to the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
... À la 'Dry Hopping'?

I've never done a flameout addition, but i have done some dry hopping and didnt really like the oily character it gave to the beer...

Oily character from Dry Hopping?

The only oiliness I have ever noticed was if some fermentation kicked up when I racked to the secondary and a krauzen formed, and the oil trapped the co2 bubbles on the surface ...but after the krauzen fell and the beer cleared, none of that affected the final product....There was no "oiliness" in mouthfeel to the beer.

Maybe this is a "slickness" or "slippery" feel, not quite really oily? I might describe some IPA's this way. They have an over-the-top (in a good way to me) I guess, almost fruitiness. If this is what you are talking about, than this will be greatly diminished using a flameout addition

Well the two batches i made were slightly resinous / oily from the EKG i dry hopped with... Maybe its a particularity of the EKG?

I have read, however, mentions of oiliness due to Dry hopping namely in the "Designing Great Beer" book.

Back