Coopers kits question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I had a question regarding the inital SG reading for these Kits. I recently did a Coopers Real Ale kit. They call for 1kg of Dextrose. This only provided me with a 1.030 SG. I ended up adding more Dextrose to get it up to the suggested 1.042 range. In hindsight I see that this caused my cider to dry way out and I'm now having to make adjustments to finish it off and correct the sweetness and thin taste.

I also have a Coopers Draft Ale kit. Both of these kits make 6 Gal US. My question is, can I just add the water until I get to the suggested SG, or should I just add DME? I suspect ether of these would work, however I'm wondering if not adding the full 6Gal that it will be too hoppy?

were you topping off with water, was everything mixed well?

could be that the SG sample you took was more water than wort and that caused your reading to be low

were you topping off with water, was everything mixed well?

could be that the SG sample you took was more water than wort and that caused your reading to be low

Yes, I gave it a vigorous stir first. Took a Sample...spun the hydrometer to get rid of any bubbles and only had a 1.030. I ended up adding more sugar to get it up to 1.042.

I realize adding less water should increase the SG, I was just concerned that it may become to hoppy as it is a pre-hopped kit.

Any opinions? I would think ether method should work, and for a 2% difference in SG, if I add 2% less water I should get back to my 1.042. Is this correct thinking?

I would suggest using 5.25 gallons and using extra light DME. Sub in some dextrose but having used these kits when I was starting.. I found that 90% DME and the rest dextrose produced good quality for the kits.

I would suggest using 5.25 gallons and using extra light DME. Sub in some dextrose but having used these kits when I was starting.. I found that 90% DME and the rest dextrose produced good quality for the kits.

Thanks....I was thinking that this might be the better way. Kind of a blend of the 2 possible ways which would keep me from using tasteless sugar.

I make tonns of coopers kits - I think the best idea is o use a combo of sugar and malt. Here is a video of my latest brew I included the recipe - this may help!

This is for a 23 L batch (5 imperial gallons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back