Lack of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
I read through the forums and I think I'm probably just being impatient.

My very first batch was a pale ale, final gravity of 1.018, came out with about 3.95 gallons. After a week in primary and another week in secondary, I bottled using a half a cup of primary sugar last Sat. 2/20. I bottled in 22 ounce bottles. I tried one tonight (after 10 days) and it was only slightly, very very very slightly carbonated.

Am I screwed or just impatient.

Thanks in advance!

PS: The taste is good, just lacking carbonation.

I am still waiting on my first brew, kolsch style ale, and it's all bottled up in 22oz bottles. Cracked the 1st after 2 weeks and had the same thing, cracked one at 3 weeks, and last week at 4 weeks it had enough carbonation to give it a little head and was drinkable. Think I will be waiting a couple more weeks atleast before I crack another.

If 1/2 a cup is around 4oz if priming sugar then you're just being impatient. I was the same way with my last brew. Took longer to carb. Since I didn't like how it was, I just let it sit in the corner for another 2-3 weeks (like it was grounded for being bad or something). Went back, cracked one open, and it was fine.

^ what he said :)

For bottle conditioning, leave the bottles for at least 3 weeks in a warmish area (70 F or warmer is best). Some beers can take much longer, if its carbing some, then you know that the yeast is working, just give it time. To test after 3 weeks, put a bottle in the fridge for a couple of days and then open. If its good, then put more bottles in the fridge. If its still under carbonated, wait it out some more.

Have you seen the carbonation calculator at www.mrmalty.com?

The longer you let it sit the better it will get. Just be patient! Another thing to look out for is the conditioning temp. If you condition you beer at a warmer temp, say 70-72 it will carb up pretty quick. On the other hand if you're storing your bottles at a lower temp it will directly effect the time it takes for the bottles to carb up.

Not fully carbed after 10 days?

Better dump it.

Some church guy here on HBT keeps talking about 3 weeks at 70 as a MINIMUM but what could he know?

Am I screwed or just impatient.

One way to avoid a lot of worrying is to get a few PET bottles (i.e. 20 oz Pepsi bottles or something) and put some primed beer in that. If they are getting more rigid - the beer is carbing. No need to even open the bottle. If you don't like that approach, 7oz Coronita bottles result in less beer wasted by continual tests of carbonation levels.

Thanks everyone, this is what I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated, I will check back with them in about 2 more weeks. By the way, they are in my hall closet which fluxuates (sp?) between 65 and 69 degrees.

DancingBull,

My first brew was an EPA and I went: 2 weeks Primary, 2 weeks Secondary, and then bottled. After two weeks I had a beer that resembled hoppy water. There was not even a trace of carbonation. I left the bottles for another week and a half and tried one. The difference was day and night. There still wasnt great head on the beer when poured into a glass but the taste was much better. Just wait it out. Maybe try and get the temp up a tad closer toa consistent 70 to cut down on the time it will take to carb up. But at 65 you will be fine either way. Try one each week until you start to like what you are tasting....and then wait longer. My thought is why drink a beer that is tolerable when I can wait another week or two and drink a satisfying brew that you would actually purchase.

Patience is key....

I love this forum. Thanks everyone who replied and offered good advice. I took it and moved my bottles into our spare bathroom which is about 70-73 degrees. I'm going to check them in another 9 or so days (3 weeks total).

10 days is a little premature to make judgements. Most of my beers will carbonate to acceptable levels in 1 week (plus a day or two in the fridge.) but for consistent results, you should leave it in there longer. Another 10 days for sure. And make sure the bottles are warm!!! Cold temps will definitely slow down carbonating.

Back