Anyone use hot pepper spray to rid hops of pests?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
Sort of a funny question, but if I continue to do this through harvest, am I going to have "spicy" hops??

Background: As of last week, I had several known problems with my hop plants: slugs, whiteflies, and aphids. I read about and made a solution out of one chopped jalepeno soaked in warm water for a few hours, and a few drops of dish soap. I started spraying it and the pests appear to be gone and the plants doing great now.

I've seen a lot of going back and forth on here between organic vs conventional sprays, but so far this seemingly harmless stuff is doing the trick for me.

I've been sparying mine down with "Seven" spray about once every couple weeks and it does the trick perfectly... Good stuff

Yeah, I've been using a homemade insecticidal soap where I steep hot pepper flakes (a tea of sorts) and add that liquid to a quart of water and 1.5 tablespoons of murphy's oil soap. Works pretty good on my vegetables (and my hops too) and haven't noticed anything off on the taste, but I also wash my veggies out of habit.

bfgry86 how much do you mix of thje seven per gallon.. i need ot spray asap...i have 1700 plants and just got done killing 200 slugs this night...dam,, my hands are tired... the plants are still young so im goona have to go on tghe weak side for a bit... thanks..

Back