what is wrong with my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyr

Reaction score
Questions: What is wrong with my Hops?

Info: These pictures were taken two weeks ago, but I got busy and am finally posting the query but they have not changed at all.

Background: I've been growing hops for 3 years, last year and this year they popped out of the ground in spring and shot up like gangbusters, I mean hot and heavy like they are growing to the moon and back, ....... but they around june/july they start to fade and look very pathetic. I did notice lots of aphids early on and treated them heavily with whiteflys and ladybug and even put up aphid traps, also see lots of spiders on them which I assume is good. I do not see a heavy infestation at the moment but I'm sure there are still a few hanging around. I have tried watering them heavy and tried watering them light but don't seem to notice a difference.
I had a soil test performed three years ago and my agronomist friend concluded that I have textbook perfect soil for growing hops
I do not apply fertilizer or pesticides, trying to keep as natural as possible. Put I do have white clover planted along with them to help fix nitrogen and act as a cover crop to keep moisture in.

The two varieties that are failing are Sterling and Cascade and are all 3-4 year old plants. The last hop in the pictures that is growing so beautifully is Newport. The tallest affected plants have 7-9 feet of growth but seem to lose some length once they peter out and the good plant has an easy 9 feet and is still going strong.

I reside in the Willamette Valley in Oregon which is prime hop country and I don't see anyone else having this problem, there is even a wild growing hop plant 1 mile from my house that is also al natural and is growing just fine. All the plants have some shade for the morning but full sun from 1000-1600 hours.

So ... can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? The good hop plant is only 5 feet away from the ones that are struggling and is two years younger. I would like to stay natural but I'm willing to deviate a bit if needed

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

In the second picture there's a clearly dead bine in there.
Makes everything look tired, but it's mostly that one bine.

Otherwise, have you ever looked closely at the under-side of afflicted leaves?
It wouldn't surprise me if you have a spider mite infestation going on...

Cheers!

My cascade looks exactly like that. Just like day_trippr stated - check the undersides of the leaves. I did and found spider mites, or the really fine webbing on the leaves. I sprayed with an insect soap. Can these little buggers kill a hop plant off, or just screw up a season?

In the second picture there's a clearly dead bine in there.
Makes everything look tired, but it's mostly that one bine.

Otherwise, have you ever looked closely at the under-side of afflicted leaves?
It wouldn't surprise me if you have a spider mite infestation going on...

Cheers!

Are they those little tiny grey spiders? How do you get rid of them? I think I got 'em too...

:(

Are they those little tiny grey spiders? How do you get rid of them? I think I got 'em too...

:(

Spider mites are little red critters that destroy plants. They have a definite reddish tint, and are on the underside of the leaves, often with little tiny fine webs. They aren't spiders- they are mites. I think they call them spider mites because of the little webs.

Spider mites are little red critters that destroy plants. They have a definite reddish tint, and are on the underside of the leaves, often with little tiny fine webs. They aren't spiders- they are mites. I think they call them spider mites because of the little webs.

Thanks! I just googled it. Definitely not what I got going on. I've got these really tiny grey spiders, and little holes in some leaves. I pruned the plant a bit to thin it out so I can see more as it progresses, and try to determine what's going on. It only looks like a handful of spiders. No full blown infestation or anything like that. I'm just concerned because I lost my other plant earlier this year, and haven't determined why yet. This plant looks for the most part healthy, and is growing fast. It's probably about 15' now, about half way up my cabling.

They are first year plants, and my first year growing hops, so it's probably just me freaking out. Lol! Until today, I was thinking the little spiders might be beneficial, and could eat up any little bad buggers that tried to make my plant their home. Still to be determined, I guess.

If I was home, I'd post pics...

God they're awful - had an infestation myself. Tried soapy water, tried molasses... eventually gave up and used some pesticide - worked immediately.

If you have access to ladybugs they will take care of the problem for you. Most garden centers carry them, or you can order online: http://www.planetnatural.com/product/live-ladybugs/

fwiw, spider mites come in different colors, and I've never see red ones on my hops.
I get the two-spotted spider mites - mostly greyish-white with two black spots.
And if left unchecked they can totally devastate a hop garden.

At the first sign of the wee beasties I use insecticidal soap every four days until they've been eliminated.
It's a major pita but as I said if not done you can kiss the hops goodbye...

Cheers!

I agree with day_trippr on pic #3 that looks like a 90 degree angle was too much for that bine, and maybe it split or got pinched and died off. The other pics look like some bug damage for sure. You can use neem oil, a soap oil and water mix, pesticides, molasses slurry, or buy ladybugs like others had stated. I like to see ladybugs in my hops, they get fed, and my plants stay mostly bug free. Hopefully something works. Nothing is discouraging like getting all excited to grow hops and watch them be decimated by nature. Best of luck.

Back