Unexpectedly high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My GF girlfriend and I tried brewing igliashon's no-nonsense oatmeal stout yesterday and the OG was at 1.080! I'm pretty sure I nailed down why, but my question is should I pick up and pitch a second package of S04 asap? Can one package handle a gravity that high?

You'd definitely be better off with 2 but how the heck is the gravity that high? That's probably close to .03 above your target and that's a lot. Have you checked/tested your hydrometer to make sure it reads 1.000 for plain water?

You'd definitely be better off with 2 but how the heck is the gravity that high? That's probably close to .03 above your target and that's a lot. Have you checked/tested your hydrometer to make sure it reads 1.000 for plain water?

I just checked it since you mentioned it, but the hydrometer is fine. I used a little more sorghum because it was only sold in a 3.3lb can and I was trying to make a 2.5 gallon batch as opposed to 3. I figure my water volumes were a bit off and I lost a lot more during the boil than anticipated. I considered topping off with water, but I didn't care too much as this was a bit of an experiment.

I'll pick up and pitch some more yeast and see what happens. Thanks!

Back