Loose drilled bung hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
I buy universal bungs... you might know.. the ones that don't fall in because they have a lip.

These bungs have a 'predrilled hole'. Not sure who drilled that hole before I got it, but there it is, a hole. Then, I insert into bung hole either a blowoff tube or an airlock. Now, the airlock will most likely widen that hole to the point where the blowoff is no longer being satisfied with the air tightness of the hole. This is because the airlock stem is winder and stiffer than the blow off tube. So the bunghole can only be used with the airlock. It is not longer an acceptable piece of early fermentation blowoff session.

Once I upgrade my secondaries, I will no longer need to slut my bungs with airlocks and hence have an exclusive inventory of blowoffs-friendly virgins, which should be a nice thing.

Yeah,weell,that's the rub isn't it? A loose bung hole isn't an enjoyable thing! :D I use a piece cut off from an old "S" type airlock in one end of the blow off tube to insert into the hole,the other end in a jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan. Nice tight holes always...

I'm just glad I placed this one in the Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling area.

Sounds like you're not using the right OD size tubing in the bunghole anymore... If you're using the same stopper in the bunghole (that I've used before :eek:) then it's a formed item, not 'drilled'... Far easier to mass produce the bungholes if they come off an assembly line ready to have things jammed into them. :eek: The ones that are without holes are the freaks. :D

BTW, I would always use the same tubing for a racking cane (3/8" cane OD) for those blow-off tubes. Since I've upgraded to my SS fittings, I use 1/2" ID tubing for blow-off hoses. :D

No one like a slippy/sloppy bunghole.

Where IS the GREAT CORNHOLIO??!?!?!?!?!!

"Are you threatening me?"

Cornholio.jpg

Excuse me but do you mean reconstructive bunghole surgery?

If not, do you mean Obi Wan Keboni?

Back